Summer & Tyler

crazy in love...


Monday, October 19, 2009

Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands Tues Sept 15th

Posted by Summer

Tyler has been to Grand Cayman with his family several times, and has loads of great things to say about it. They are lucky enough to tag along every few years to check up on his dad's clients and their furniture. Waxing and buffing mostly I think. At least that's what I've learned from Tyler-nice furniture needs a lot tlc to look its best.

Since I have never been before and all I know about the Caribbean is what I've seen on Pirates of the Caribbean, I had a different idea about what life on the island was all about. I thought it was going to be a little more tropical, more exotic, more Caribbean I guess..but this place felt more like a little town in Florida. Modern, somewhat up to date with convenience stores and restaurants, and amazing multi-million dollar homes on the water. Nothing what I had expected. I hope we have the opportunity to go with his fam in the future because 1 day is not long enough!


We had to ferry over from our ship a ways--a fun little ride.





{ 2nd ferry just like ours}









The ship looks so tiny from the dock. Each of those orange specks in the middle of the ship are boats in case of emergencies.
I'm not sure which I dislike more-overpriced excursions, or stressing out to save money on the excursions by waiting last minute and price shopping off the ship. It feels great after all the bartering goes down and we are on our way, but we missed out on activities we wanted to try because they weren't even available off the ship. Double bummer.

The exception was Grand Cayman-we really lucked out and saved a ton on our trip to Stingray City and a snokeling spot. (I'm not complaining but the snorkeling was terrible...no reef and very few fishies-still fun but nothing to write home about)
{Sorry...Rock & Olane--missed that one somehow}


{Had to take a pic of the Flagship store!}

We took a boat ride out to Stingray City....
{They say these are between 2 and 4 million dollar homes}










Stingray city is a sandbar completely surrounded by water. The stingrays are huge (the females are the larger ones) and are so docile. They have been without an incident (otherwise known as a death or injury) for years. They've got them so trained that they are completely unafraid of humans and know that this is the place when it comes to being fed.



We each were able to hold, kiss, and pet them if we liked. I was in my animal heaven! I couldn't get enough of them and it was sad to leave.

This girl right here got a little peeved and tried to flip her tail at our guide Hiroko--sheesh...scared the crap out of me and Hiroko acted like it was nothing. "Naughty girl!" she said after she sucked up her fingers too. Yeah, nothing worse than having a flash of the Croc Hunter accident go through your mind.






{If you can read the writing...true story of Richard LeNoir}

After our excursion we ate at Hammerheads and we had our first conch fritters-ty excluded. Sooooooooooooo good. Their calamari was impressive too.




{Silly us}
{I love the humidity. Look what it does to my stick straight hair when it is added with a little bit of salt water! Did I mention my hair and skin hate Utah?}









{Dinner: French onion soup, sushi tasting, chocolate melting cake, cinnamon, date cake w/ rum ice cream, pork jerk tenderloin, pumpkin soup, polenta w/ puff pastry}

After another excellent dinner we saw an insane juggler-hands down the best I have ever seen, a comedian, and watched some great karaoke. I've always wished I could sing, but I even scare myself in the shower or car. So I refrain. Ty almost got up...almost--and I can't wait for the day that he does-he's got a great singing voice and he would've smoked some of those guys...too bad! He could have made it on the ship's show of the best of the best}

Short funny story....Friends of Dorothy anyone? Well we accidentally mingled and danced for a while in the gay, lesbian and transgender club for the evening. They switch locations and themes each night and we were unaware until after the fact...I thought people were staring at us and giving us weird looks but didn't think much of it. Haha-Oh well! We had fun and I'm sure everyone else did too trying to figure us out.

0 comments:

Post a Comment