Summer & Tyler

crazy in love...


Thursday, July 23, 2009

Smartie Pants

Posted by Summer

I really LOVE how smart and educated my husband is...really I do.  He is brillant, witty, and could be a dang good lawyer if he ever wanted to go down that route.  


I HATE how dumb it makes me feel sometimes though.  I know I'm not an idiot-I did go to college, have a 4 year degree, and feel like I have somewhat of a decent grasp of the English language.  To add to that, Tyler and I both grew up in California and both went to Brigham Young University.  

Why then is it that he is constantly teaching me correct grammar and word usage? And why is it that it took 27 years to ever hear these two phrases used correctly?  Please, please, please leave comments...do any of you use these as I do?

1.)  Bold face lie
2.) Nip it in the butt

I now have been taught the correct (ok...Ty I said it!)  usage of the phrases...but I will not promise that I will start using your versions, because is sounds just too weird after using the other ones for so long!

1.) Bald face lie-It refers to a "shameless" or "brazen" lie. One where the teller does not attempt to hide his face while telling it.
It's just the last 5 yrs or so that "bold" has come into usage. It refers to typeface. It is used metaphorically in speech. In the same way that a typesetter uses bold face type to highlight specific text and set it apart, a bold face lie stands out in such a way as to not be mistaken for the truth.
2.) Nip it in the bud-This phrase clearly derives by allusion to the de-budding of plants. the earlier form of the phrase was 'nip in the bloom' and this is cited in Henry Chettle's romance Piers Plainnes Seaven Yeres Prentiship, 1595:

"Extinguish these fond loues with minds labour, and nip thy affections in the bloome, that they may neuer bee of power to budde."


6 comments:

lebruf said...

You're still very smart.

A little confused, but still brilliant.

I'm looking forward to you correcting me next time.

Leslie said...

I know how you feel, Summer. When Jimmy and I first got married, he quickly lectured me on the correct context for using "ironic" and "coincident". It wouldn't have been a big deal, but IRONICALLY we were in an argument, which COINCIDENTALLY pissed me off even more. ha!

Hailey Smoot Kandell said...

cant help ya. I knew how to say them both correctly.

Sara LaClaire said...

lol. this is so funny. my biggest pet peeve is when people use the term "literally" for something that is NOT LITERAL. however, it bugs me so much that i started doing it just to point out how ridiculous it is and people don't get it and it makes me feel dumber. :D

Amanda said...

I still want to know if it's flip-off, or flick-off when you get the middle finger. Not that I do it, but I was recently the recipient while driving on the freeway.

I also think that people say, "I could care less" when they actually mean, "I couldn't care less".

If anyone should know about cliches and sayings it's Papa Bruford. He uses them in everyday conversation, even when unnecessary.

Summer said...

I personally think it's flip off...but I'm not sure about anything anymore...Tyler's biggest pet peeve is that "I couldn't care less" saying too. Haha!

...and thanks Hailey! You're no help at all! :)

Post a Comment